Sunday 12 February 2017

BAKED STUFFED APPLE

BAKED STUFFED APPLE


Happy Valentine's day!

I am sharing this recipe for Valentine's day, so that you can cook this special sweet item, on a special day for someone who is really special to you and enjoy the day.



There is a proverb in English language, it says -An apple a day, keeps the doctor away, if that is the case then why not eat an apple in a style and use it in our recipes also, like this one which I am sharing and get more benefit of this nutritional fruit. Apple is actually used in many cuisines of the world, many baked and sweet recipes are made with it.

 
When I talk about apples and fruits in general, I really miss South Africa. In South Africa, many fruits are grown on a very large scale by commercial farmers, which are exported to many neighbouring countries like- Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Swaziland, Lesotho and Namibia. Even exported to other countries which are far from South Africa. In Calgary, Canada, I have seen South African oranges are sold in some of the shops. 

 
I remember, when I was in South Africa, our drive from Rustenburg to Pretoria, which is around 100 km, was so enchanting and cool because our eyes could see only orange orchards on the right side of the road, for kilometres and kilometres in our journey. And if the season is winter, those short orange trees were bending down with the weight of hundreds of oranges on them. The mixed colour of orange and green was really pleasing to the eyes.




When we drove from three sisters to Cape town, views near Cape town were breathtaking, beautiful green valleys, hills, rivers, mountains and vineyards. Most of these vineyards in valleys with elegant farm houses. On the sides of the roads there are many farm stalls, if you are traveling in a summer season, you will find those farm stalls selling fresh grapes straight from the farms at a very reasonable price. A lot of variety of grapes are grown in South Africa of beautiful colours of red, purple and green.

 

The majority of South African apples are grown in Elgin valley, in the Western cape. There are many varieties of apples are available there. My favourite type of the apple was “Pink lady”, which has attractive pink colour, exquisite taste and slightly oblong in shape while eating you can feel the crunch, crisp and sweetness of the fruit. Other varieties available were- gala, golden delicious, granny smith, Fuji, royal gala and much more.

 

Coming to the recipe, the original idea of this recipe I got from Winnie’s blog Something Sweet. Check here-winnish.net When I had seen this recipe I really liked it and bookmarked it to try soon. I thought I will give the Indian twist to the recipe when I made it this very, the very first time, it was a super hit in my house, and my family members were demanding again and again. Now I am sharing with my readers on my blog. 

 


RECIPE

INGREDIENTS



  • 4 large apples
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup mixed nuts of your choice
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 200 grams khoya/ mava
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut powder
  • 1/4 nutmeg or cardamom powder
  • 4 tablespoon roohafza sherbet or pink sugar syrup/squash.



METHOD


  • Rinse and dry the apples.
  • Cut out holes in apples for stuffing. Use a sharp knife remove the stem area than the seeds and make the hole in apples.
  • Grate the khoya.
  • Mix all dry ingredients with grated khoya and add milk.
  • In a fry pan, heat this mixture on a gas stove for few minutes till khoya is melted.
  • Stuff this mixture inside apples.
  • Heat the oven at 180 degrees C, bake these apples on a baking tray for 15-20 minutes till you see the apple's soft skin from outside.
  • Garnish with rooh awza sherbet and serve at room temperature.
 

I am sharing this recipe with Recipe of the week and with Sunday Food and Fitness and Meatless Monday and with Fiesta Friday and Sweet Inspiration Link party and with Hearth and Soul blog hop, and Cook Blog share and Meat up Monday Link party and Way wow link party. and with Real Food Friday and with Healthy Living link party and Plant based party  and with I am pinnable link party
and with Cook once and eat Twice














 






















46 comments:

  1. A healthy and unique dessert as you've added khoya. I'd really love to visit South Africa one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh Sadhna, you just made my day. We're so blessed in South Africa with the fruit variety. Do you think you'll ever come visit again. I'd so love meet you in person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Michelle, you are right, that is why I miss South Africa. We will definitely meet one day ether in S.A. or in Canada.XOXO

      Delete
  3. Wow...What a different & innovative recipe.just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not had stuffed baked apples in a long time! Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ALWAYS tell people when they want a delicious and healthy dessert to BAKE APPLES!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love any apple dessert and these stuffed apples sound delicious! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stuffed apples. This recipe here is something I have never tried but sounds absolutely delicious!! Pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stuffed apples, but its been a while since I have made one - love the colours in this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious Sadhna and I can imagine how amazing that trip must have been! And how great to try all of those yummy dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Sadhna,
    This stuffed apple would be great for any time of the year. Sounds delicious and so flavorful with the nuts. What a wonderful healthy dessert this would make. Thanks for sharing on Real Foods Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla for your comment and for tweeting and pinning it.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a lovely treat! I have not used coconut powder before, but would love to give it a try. Thanks so much for linking up at Sunday Fitness & Food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You seem to really miss South Africa, you have so fond memories of the drives you took!

    Even during our California trip last year, we found so many orange tree by the roads. We even plucked a few oranges and brought them back as souvenirs 😊

    Your recipes are a class apart, I would say. There is something unique about them. Hope you had a great Valentine's 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alok,I really miss that lovely place. You brought oranges as souvenirs, ha ha. Thanks very much for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  13. I so enjoyed reading your memories of South Africa, Sadhna, it sounds amazing. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list! I really the lovely flavourful twist you have given this recipe - Your Baked Stuffed Apple looks and sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing with us at Hearth and Soul. Scheduled to tweet and shared on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello April, Thanks for reading the post and leaving such nice comment and for tweeting and sharing on face book. I have already seen the share on the face book.

      Delete
    2. Thanks April for sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page.

      Delete
  14. Sadhna, my mother used to make baked apples for us when we were kids, but these look so much more to my liking. The raisins and nuts would add a lot of flavor and texture. How cool the countryside in South Africa must have been, the orchards and vineyards sound lovely, and the roadside stands would be a pleasure to shop from to get fresh produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nikki, you are right the country side of South Africa is really cool.Thanks for reading the post and for such a nice comment.

      Delete
  15. I didn't know Pink Lady Apples were from SA. Those are among my favorite too. These baked apples look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love stuffed apples, I need to try this out as it looks delicious. I would love to travel to South Africa, definitely on my list of places to go to x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sadhna: This recipe looks delicious and healthy. The different spices make it different then the one Grama use to make. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Baked apples look very tasty Sadhna thank you for sharing your lovely recipe with I am Pinnable

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love baked apples, and these look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so yummy! I don't make enough desserts with fruits. I'd love to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds really tasty and good to make at this time of year when apples are so good! Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTWice

    ReplyDelete