CINNAMON ROLLS AND A POST ON A SPICE - CINNAMON
Cinnamon is the oldest and most versatile spice in the world and is used in many savory and sweet items, a delicious spice which is used in the culinary world from ages. It is mainly used in cooking as a condiment and flavouring agent. Cinnamon is actually the bark of a tree which is removed and dried. Cinnamon sticks are long, brown and their shape is like a cigar. The sticks and their powder are both used in different cuisines. This spice is widely used in American, European, African and Asian cuisines, this is the reason it is a famous spice of the world.
In Indian cuisine, this spice is used a lot in savoury dishes like rice, lentil and vegetable curries, stews, yoghurt salads, drinks, coffee, tea and in many snack items. And it is also used in sweet items like cakes, cookies, murrabas (Fruit preserves), puddings, fudges, and traditional sweetmeats etc. It is also added in many spice blends of different states of India, the famous one is Garam Masala.
In Indian homes, it is not only used as a fragrant spice but also as a medicine. My mother always used it in a masala tea for the treatment of a sore throat, in which she added- cinnamon, honey, black pepper powder and clove powder. This masala tea really works and helps us to relieve symptoms of a sore throat, till today we are using her tea formula. According to Ayurveda, cinnamon is called the ancient healing spice of the world.
There are enormous health benefits of this spice; even scientific researchers have shown that this spice has a lot of health benefits. Check this website-
This article in the newspaper - “Washington Times” explains that Americans love cinnamon and they use it in all dessert recipes, pies, cakes, bread, rolls, coffee to mention a few. The title of the article was “Cinnamon unites cuisines of the World”. It seems when people adopted recipes from other cuisines, this spices also traveled with the recipes throughout the world.
This is a simple recipe, it is easy to make the dough like for bread or a plain bun and is very simple to spread butter and sprinkle the mixture of cinnamon-sugar, give round shape and bake it. My grandchildren love this cinnamon rolls, they happily take these rolls in their lunch boxes to school.
INGREDIENTS FOR DOUGH
- 2 cups brown bread flour
- Half packet active dry yeast (5 grams)
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp. oil
- more oil for coating
FOR CINNAMON FLAVOUR FILLING
- 2 tbsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter
- In a cup, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water, add sugar in it. Leave it to mix well - around 5 minutes till the colour of the water changes and becomes foamy.
- In a big bowl take flour add salt, oil and this foamy water of yeast, mix more water and make a soft dough, coat all sides with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap to let the dough rise, let it double in size. Keep it in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 2 big balls. Roll the ball thin on a flat surface. Apply a thin layer of butter and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of the rolled out dough.
- Cut long strips of the dough and roll giving round shape as shown in the picture.
- Bake at 350 degree F for about 20minutes till they are golden brown.
- Cool on a rack, this can be served hot or cold.