(SPINACH AND BEETROOT KEBABS)
I visited the beautiful city of Vancouver in 2014 July with my family. I really liked this busy city, with spectacular beaches and sky high tall buildings on the coastal area. Beaches have breathtaking views, I really enjoyed the beaches and scenic view there.
In my ten days’ visit to Vancouver, I visited many places but the place I enjoyed the most is Stanley park, which is the largest city park in Canada. This park is along the sea with the seawall, which is kilometres and kilometres long, where people are jogging, walking, biking and having lots of fun. There are a varieties of sports, fitness, arts, education and social activities for all ages. My grandchildren really enjoyed the different types of swings and other kids’ activities at Stanley park, together with building a sandcastle at the beach and general beach and sand games. I saw many people having a picnic along the beach. This is a wonderful park where you can stay, relax and enjoy all day long and can have a lot of fun by the sea, fun in the water, swimming, picnic, together with a scenic view and fresh air. I just loved this place!
These days everybody wants to eat healthy and we try to incorporate as many vegetables as we can, in our food. I found this as a healthy alternative to serve vegetables in style, as an appetizer, to my guest.
These are elegant and colourful kebabs made with fresh vegetables -spinach and beetroot. The colour you see in these kebabs is the original colour of these vegetables. They are easy to make and suitable for a party or any other occasion to celebrate, as an appetizer with any chutney of your taste. I serve them with green coriander chutney and tomato ketchup, because the colour of these two chutneys is somewhat matching with the colour of the kebabs. They can be made few hours before and can be reheated in the oven before serving.
For Spinach Balls-
- 1 packet of frozen spinach (400 grams)/ or fresh green spinach
- 3 tbs chickpeas flour
- Salt and red pepper to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbs oil for glazing the balls and some oil for frying the balls
- Thaw the frozen spinach and remove all the water, then slice it again to make sure there is no whole leaf of spinach left. If you are using fresh spinach, blanch for 5 minutes, when cold squeeze all the water and chop the leaves.
- Dry roast the chickpeas flour in a fry pan on low heat, once it is changing the colour to a few shades darker, remove from gas and leave it to cool.
- When cool, add chickpeas flour into spinach with little salt, pepper, coriander powder and make small balls, using oil to glaze your palms.
- Fry them on medium heat. Once they turn into light greenish golden brown colour, take them out and drain on kitchen towel.
For beetroot balls
- 2 big beetroots (400grams)
- 4 heaped tbs chickpeas flour
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dhaniya powder(coriander powder)
- 1 tbs oil for glazing and more oil for frying.
- Wash and Cook beetroot in microwave for 6 to 8 minute, till they are soft and cooked well
- When cold, peel and mash further with potato masher or in food processor.
- Dry roast chickpeas flour on a medium heat in a fry pan, till it is light brown; when cold, mix with mashed beetroot.
- Add salt and pepper, mix well and make small balls with little oil for glazing your palms.
- Fry on a medium heat till it changes colour to a few shades darker.
INGREDIENTS FOR ASSEMBLING
- 1 box of bocconcini/mozzarella cheese balls/paneer squares
- 3 tbs spoon yoghurt or sour cream
- salt and dried mint/or any other herb
- few toothpicks/ small sized skewer
- Spinach balls and beetroot balls
METHOD FOR ASSEMBLING
- Marinate bocconcini/paneer in sour cream/yoghurt with salt and herb for 2 hours.
- Heat spinach and beetroot balls in an oven before serving and arranging on the skewer.
- In a tooth pick or skewer arrange one bocconcini, then one ball of spinach and then one ball of beetroot.
- Serve hot with any sauce or chutney of your taste.
I am sharing this recipe as my blog post entry with Eat your greens. and with Real food Friday and Fiesta Friday and with Sunday Food and Fitness and Meatless Monday
and Sweet inspiration link party and with Hearth and Soul party and way waw link
and with Tasty Tuesday and with cook blog share and Happy healthy and green party
and with Healthy Living Link party.